Lido di Camaiore is a 4 km stretch of coastline on the Tyrrhenian sea, between Viareggio and Marina di Pietrasanta, which is considered to be amongst the best beachfront and bathing area available in the Versilia region.
Many seaside tourism enterprises are found there, both in quantity and quality – operations that are appreciated and preferred by the many Italian and foreign holiday-makers and tourists that visit regularly. Taking it place amongst the best of 4 star Hotels, the Europa Hotel is situated at no. 91 Viale Colombo, one of the main and central roads of Lido di Camaiore which runs parallel to the sea, only a few meters away.
The Hotel’s origins go back to the early 19th century. More precisely, to 1880 when all of Versilia was a vast and wild marine area, uninhabited and swampy, appreciated only by hunters and fishermen.
The farm where the Europa Hotel stands today was virtually overrun with reeds and marshland and littered with modest housing and many hunting huts before Italian engineer, Mr Francesco Garrè came upon the area in his capacity as designer builder of the Viareggio aqueduct. He bought the entire plot of land between the river Secco and the fossa dell’Abate, from attorney Giovanni Pellerano of Carrara. Mr Garrè later donated the land, in equal parts, to his children Fiovo, Augusto and Riccardo.
The part where the Hotel stands today belonged to Fiovo who transformed the existing structure from a fishing/hunting hut to a stone building for residential use. That building became the Regina Hotel and was sold on 31 March 1926, to the brothers, Giandomenico and Pasquale Matteoni. When Giandomenico Matteoni died, half of the Hotel was inherited by his five children while the remaining half was sold by Pasquale Matteoni to Gianfranco Giugni of Lido di Camaiore.